Friday, August 22, 2008

Technically it's Friday

It's 12:49 am. Close enough. I have to work a double tomorrow so figured I would do what I can now.

Photobucket

The subject today is Old Fashioned. I didn't have to look hard for a photo already on my computer. Last summer my closest friend and I went on an over night trip to my grandparents house in a very small town in Wisconsin. The drive takes anywhere from an hour and a half to 2 hours from me, depending on which side of the river you go down and how fast you drive. Well we went down the Wisconsin side and came back on the Minnesota side. Stopping at every single Historical Marker along the way. It was a fun and relaxing 2 days (and desperately eeded again!).

Once we got down to the house and unloaded the car and I gave her the tour from the attic to the basement, we went for a walk to stretch our legs. The whole town is perched on the bank of the Mississippi river and is maybe just over a mile long. "Downtown" consists of Main Street and 2nd Street.

On our walk we discovered the local drug store was closed and had this taped to the front door.

The photo is too large to view here. So click here to view the whole photo.

That right there is why I could live in a small town. I had no idea who these people were but reading that little note almost brought me to tears. It would be unheard of to leave a note like that on a store here in "The City". That note just bring all kind of pictures of the history of that store to my mind.

I hope the couple are enjoying their retirement.

No comments: